Karva Chauth is an annual one-day festival celebrated by married Hindu women where in they observe a fast from sunrise to moonrise for longevity, well-being and prosperity of their husbands. This is a strict fast in which women abstain from food and water for the whole day.
Karva Chauth fast or Karva Chauth Vrata is mainly observed in Indian states of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Haryana, Indian Punjab, Rajasthan and Gujarat.
Karva Chauth is celebrated on the fourth day after the full moon, in the Hindu lunisolar calendar month of Kartik which is nine days before the festival of lights, Diwali.
In 2012 Karva Chauth will be celebrated on 2nd November 2012.
Some Important Rituals of Karva Chauth:
- Women wake up early in the morning, perform bath, and wear new and festive clothes.
- Married women observe a strict fast and abstain from food and water for the whole day from sunrise to moonrise.
- Shiva, Parvati Ganesh, Kartikeya and the moon are worshipped on this day along with the 10 ‘karwas’ (earthen pots) filled with sweets. The Karwas are given to daughters and sisters along with some gifts.
- Before the sun sets, most of the women in a locality gather in one house and prepare a corner for the puja.
- On moonrise they worship the moon, see their husband’s face and then preak their fast.
Moon Rise Time / Chandrodaya Timing for 2nd November 2012 :
New Delhi – 8.08 pm
Chandigarh – 8.06 pm
Varanasi – 7.51 pm
Lucknow – 7.57 pm
Noida – 8.08 pm
Ghaziabad – 8.07 pm
Jaipur – 8.18 pm
Mumbai – 8.42 pm
Pune – 8.42 pm
Ahmedabad – 8.38 pm
Chennai – 8.24 pm
Hyderabad – 8.25 pm
For other cities moonrise timing visit – http://www.timeanddate.com
Incoming search terms:
- karva chauth 2012
- karva chauth 2012 moon
- karva chauth moon rise time
- karwa chauth 2012
- moon rise on 2nd nov 2012
- karva chauth 2012 wiki
- moon rise on 2nd november 2012
- moon rise on 2 nov 2012